How to install the mh1823 POD software:
You must have already installed R and saved the
MIL-HDBK-1823A POD files (v4.2.4).ngzip
files that I have e-mailed to you. You should have already re-name the
file from *.ngzip, to *.zip, and saved it to your
folder, and unzipped it, producing, among other things, the
mh1823_4.2.4.zip file. (Do not unzip the mh1823_4.2.4.zip
(If you have not already downloaded MIL-HDBK-1823 POD files.zip start
Install the package. To do that:
- Click on your R desktop icon
to launch R.
- Within R, click on Packages, Install package(s) from local zip files ...
- If you have set up R correctly, the default directory,
mh1823 POD, will contain mh1823_4.2.4.zip. Click on it.
That installs the package. You only need to install the package once, but you will need to load
it before you can use it.
- You should have installed package "xlsx" when you
installed R, but if you didn't, do it now: It's easy.
From within R, click on Packages, Install Package(s), and
after choosing a local CRAN (Comprehensive R
Archive Network) site, scroll down to
"xlsx" and double click.
- To use an installed package, you must first load it. (That is so
your computer's memory won't be cluttered with routines you aren't going to
use in your current session of R.) Click on Packages, Load package ... , and click on
mh1823 in the drop-down menu.
- Finally, close R and Save workspace image.
Step (5) creates some default plotting and printing parameter values and an invisible file that will
automatically load mh1823, and the mh1823 POD menu, the next time you click on the
mh1823 POD desktop icon.
- You are almost finished. Again right-click on the R
icon and choose Properties, then choose Change Icon... and click on
Browse. Navigate to your R-Projects folder, then your
mh1823 POD folder and click on
glass mh1823.ico.) Click OK.
You may want to revisit this webpage from time to time to see if updates are available (again, free by request by e-mail). Updating to the latest mh1823 POD release is simple:
- First detach the current package - Type
detach("package:mh1823") <enter> or from the
mh1823 menu chose "Detach package mh1823.
- Next, click on Packages, Install package(s) from local zip files, and click on the updated zip file.
- Finally, click on Packages, Load package ... , and click on mh1823 in the drop-down menu.
(I have also installed both R and the mh1823 POD
package on a flash drive, so that you plug it in a USB port, click on the icon and you're in business.)
You are now ready to execute POD analysis using MIL-HDBK-1823 algorithms.
How to use the mh1823 POD Software:
- Double-click on the new mh1823 POD desktop icon
R will open and you will see the mh1823
menu at the top. Click on the menu and follow the Instructions - or,
better yet, work through the examples in